I'm thinking hard about pursuing a Master's degree sans-thesis. I'm having trouble getting really pumped up about any certain type of research, I'm getting more discouraged about the idea of becoming a professor's slave for 2 years, and it would be nice to get out a little faster...
Input?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We live so close to one another I can almost touch you. Furthermore you and I may have already discussed this issue. But in the interest of discussion and in hopes of postponing my homework just a little longer, I will attempt to summarize my thoughts. Let me begin by saying that given your career interests and current situation, "I think getting a Masters is a great choice for you." Getting a Masters sans thesis was not an option for me simply because I needed funding. As an in-state student I would think your costs would be less. In my judgment, your decision about the thesis rest in what you feel like your calling is. Do you ever see yourself seeking a Ph.D. or otherwise being involved in academia. If the answer is YES then I think a thesis could be an important experience along the way. Not only because it gets your feet wet but also because a thesis seems to be an important part of the doctoral admission process. I guess it's like a right of passage. If the answer is NO then my impression is that a thesis only marginally enhances your appeal in the industry. Certainly it shows that you have vision, commitment, etc. but the likelihood of your thesis preparing you for your work seems small. Scratching the thesis allows you to take courses that focus/develop skills in your areas of interest. I think it would also give you the flexibility to pursue other internships. If you want to be involved in the industry, I think internships will be more important to you and to employers than a thesis. Don't get discouraged by the "application" process (either with employers or professors). My energy for that sort of thing comes as I focus on the exciting opportunities I'm pursuing and as I remember that it's all just part of the game. On a more serious note it's a way of expressing/sharing the gifts that God has given us! An inescapable step along the road to using those gifts!
ReplyDelete